So those are the promo dolls up there. How about we take a look at the real things...
First up is Raven Queen. As you can see, she is very beautiful. But I gotta say, my feelings are just a tad mixed on this new version of the character. You'll notice that her faceup isn't very different from the signature doll's.
These are "deluxe" dolls and their outfits are very elaborate, moreso even than their signature outfits were. In Raven's case, while I like each piece individually I feel it doesn't quite add up to a satisfying whole.
I think maybe I'd like the look more if the top were instead a full dress, rather than a combo with pants. I like that her crown is dramatic and whimsical at the same time. But worn with the collar (not pictured), it was all a bit too much. Something had to go and as you can see I chose the collar.
That said, taken on their own the pants are really cute! And I love the print on her top! The belt looks great and I like how its' rigidity helps frames her hips.
I also like that her boots are an elaboration on her signature doll's shoes. And hey, her toenails are painted! Cute!
The paisley-esque print of her cape is amazing! In keeping with her raven theme, there are abstract feathers spread throughout. Overall, though not perfect, I do like this doll. And I can see her growing on me even more over time.
I'm a big, fat hypocrite because all those pink sparkles that I hate so much on Draculaura are totally rocking my world on Legacy Day Briar! I love this doll!
Gorgeous, isn't she? Of the three Legacy Day dolls Briar is easily the most improved compared to her signature release. The addition of subtle silver to her eyeshadow adds a lot, and this hairstyle is a little more mature looking than the previous one.
I'm sure this dress has many crying "Barbie!", but I think it works wonderfully. There's something 20's about it -- probably the art deco-ish belt.
And check out those heels! A huge improvement over her first pair! (And more painted toenails!) If I decide to do a full Legacy Day doll review it will probably be of Briar. I never reviewed her signature doll so she's due for full coverage. Plus, like I said, I just really adore this doll.
Her eyes are a bit smaller and the color just a hint lighter -- they look great! The minimal greys of her signature doll's eyeshadow have been replaced with magenta and shimmering gold. As with the other two Legacy Day dolls, the silver reflective dots on her lower lip have disappeared.
The overall result is a doll that looks a little older, wiser even. There was an innocence before that has been replaced with knowingness. I really like it!
What hasn't changed from the signature doll are the rich colors and lux prints of her clothing.
I think Apple benefits the most from the elaborate nature of the Legacy Day outfits. Look at everything going here! And yet it doesn't come across as busy or over the top. It doesn't to me, anyway.
Apple is basically synonymous with "lux". And "beautiful"!
Her crown frames a tiny bun. It's a great effect but leaves a bit of hair dangling awkwardly behind it, as you can see here. (In the meantime, check out the red detailing of her cape. Nice!)
Even with that odd tuft of hair poking out behind her crown Apple effortlessly pulls off the "fierce royal" look. Surprise, surprise -- she's my favorite of the Legacy Day dolls!
Each doll comes with a mirrored diary and tiny key. They're cool extras but I would've preferred a continuation of their story like we got with the signature dolls' "bookmarks". Nonetheless, these are great dolls -- especially Apple and Briar!




















There are some great individual pieces on these dolls. LD Raven sort of reminds me of GR Frankie. They've both got that rock chick look going on. It's a pity she looks a little too cluttered in the full get-up, though.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you about Apple looking a little more mature. She really does look like a queen in the making. I like her signature doll better, but this Legacy Day version is reminding me of Cate Blanchett as Galadriel. Well, sort of.
Can you take some pics of her outdoors & without the cape, please? I'd love to see the dress by itself. And possibly on the signature doll, too? (I'm not that fond of the cape; it looks like a table cloth to me)
I can totally see the Cate comparison! (Love her, btw!) I'm definitely planning on shooting some outdoor shots of these ladies so we can see them "properly". And I'm really looking forward to doing clothes swaps with MH on these dolls!
DeleteYou are the second person I have found who believes that Briar's legacy day doll is an improvement over her signature...I really need to see her in person, because I find pictures of her incredibly busy. I don't know where to look, and so I just stop. I feel like Mattel puts more effort toward the leaders of the factions, because her shoes are at least better!
ReplyDeleteYeah, in person the look definitely comes together perfectly. I think the cape is what makes it look so busy in pics -- the rose collar is really big and looks overwhelming. The dress itself is just about perfect. The netting over the bust, raised belt, multi-strand necklace -- it all works beautifully! :D As for the doll, this is just my personal opinion but I think she's a lot prettier than the signature version (which I also like). Her face looks a little older and combined with the hairstyle, she just looks a little more polished and "together".
DeleteWow, John!
ReplyDeleteThey look truly wonderful. Very beautiful dolls. I'm totally in awe of all 3 of them.
I wonder if there will be a wave 2 with possibly Madeline, Ashlynn and another character?
I love the painted toenails. I hope they eventually add this aspect to the MH dolls as well. It looks so pretty.
Do you know if the EAH clothes can fit the MH dolls? I'd like to try and dress up Spectra with Raven's outfits ( if the EAH dolls ever get here where I live. The first wave of the first line still hasn't arrived yet).
Hi Tristan! :D They're a great bunch, that's for sure. I usually don't go for dolls this costume-y but I love the effect here. I guess the costume look just works better on princesses than it does monsters for me. I *really* hope we get a wave 2 for the line. We need a big, bold Maddie to go with the others! Most EAH clothes fit MH dolls, though it sometimes takes a little adjusting to get the pieces to fit right. Since the EAH body is a tad larger than the MH body, especially small MH pieces won't fit the EAH dolls at all. I've already done a few Spectra-Raven outfit swaps and they've almost all looked really good!
DeleteOk so on your tumblr you recently posted pics of your Legacy Day Apple but her hair is all down and super straight. It looks beautiful, what did you do?
ReplyDeleteThanks Helena! I gave a quick boil wash and ice rinse, then let it sit and dry. Voila! Perfectly straight hair! I like her much more now!
ReplyDelete