A Spanish-German co-production that was shot on location in Turkey, Vampyros Lesbos has a multi-culti pedigree that over time has marinated into simply Eurohorror. It was directed by Jesus Franco, whose nearly 200 films (!!!) run the gamut from arty experimentation to, well, the hard stuff. So what is Vampyros Lesbos? It's a little of both yet neither completely. The movie is loaded with symbolism (lots of unexplained shots of a moth, a scorpion, and a kite in mid-flight abound), but doesn't entirely form a coherent statement. There's a lot of nudity but at most what's shown would be considered softcore. It most easily fits under the umbrella of exploitation. It's also horror, although even that element is somewhat negligible.
Oh, the 70's, you never fail to amaze!
The story is based loosely on Bram Stoker's Dracula. This time the Dracula character is female, a countess named Nadine, played by the stunning Soledad Miranda (who tragically died in a car accident shortly after the film's release). Plot points are kind of vague and not everything makes total sense, but after an "erotic" stage performance involving a mirror and a candelabra, Nadine psychically takes over audience member Linda, played by Ewa Stromberg, beautiful despite an almost uncanny resemblance to Geri Halliwell (aka Ginger Spice). Things spiral from there, Linda finds herself sunbathing on the Mediterranean with vampire Nadine (!!!), a random hotel is involved, there's some sexy times, and a few people lose their lives. Fin.
Being so pretty never looked so painful. Those poor, damned vampires.
Spice up your life.
Back when it was originally released in 1971, Vampyros Lesbos was just one of many, a trashy European horror flick that was soon forgotten. But sometime in the 90's it developed a cult following and it's reputation grew. Today it has become more divisive, many people let down after hearing such good things about it from it's cult of fans. For starters, to even be able to get into this movie (or any exploitation movie), you really have to let two opposing thoughts occupy your mind at the same time. Vampyros Lesbos is politically incorrect, with the focus of the male gaze way at the forefront. I consider myself a feminist and what we're dealing with here is very much in direct opposition to that. But I'm also a proud gay man and I enjoy similar movies of the era that throw the word "faggot" around like nobody's business. Those were the times. Things change. We've progressed, and knowing that makes watching these now anachronistic movies almost comical. It's all in the mindset.
If you find mirror dancing offensive, and it kind of is here, look elsewhere.
The other thing is, well, you kind of just have to go with the flow with Vampyros Lesbos. If you count coherent plot and a lack of long, drawn out, dialogue-free shots, as strong points in your favorite films, this one isn't for you. On the other hand, if atmosphere and quasi-surrealism (and hot chicks), is your thing, you'll probably find something to admire in Vampyros Lesbos. It really is about just letting the overall tone and beautiful cinematography wash over you. If you're searching for literal or rational explanations you'll come up short. (A vampire sunbathing? Really?)
I'd take this any day over Edward, and I'm gay.
Being a huge 70's enthusiast, not to mention a fan of both horror and exploitation, Vampyros Lesbos definitely works for me. The leads are all incredibly charismatic, making up for any lack of actual acting talent. The countess' beachside manse, loaded as it is with postmodern, minimalist decor, is basically the house of my dreams. The sun drenched Mediterranean location is evocative and lush. Perhaps most importantly, the movie is just plain fun. A lot of people call this a campy, trashy mess, and it kind of is. If you can get into the spirit of it you'll be rewarded. But if you hate it, well, I can't blame you. It's not brilliant; it is what it is and you're either cool with it or you're not.
If she's acting all "vampire pact-y" and handing you
a glass of mysterious red liquid, think twice.
Symbolism!
If there's one thing it seems pretty much everyone does agree on about this movie, it's that the soundtrack is damn fine. Composed by Manfred Hubler and Siegfried Schwab in 1969, and used in no less than three different Franco films, the soundtrack didn't see an actual release until 1995. In fact, I'm pretty sure it's what accounts for the cult comeback of the film in the first place. It's a mixture of swinging jazz and psychedelic rock that perfectly encapsulates it's era. This is music so good it's album was given a subtitle never associated with any of it's films: Sexadelic Dance Party. And that about sums it up! There are a few downtempo, melancholic mood pieces here, but for the most part you're in for a rollicking, upbeat, indeed sexy, very good time!
Even though these songs were used in three films, they only used Vampyros Lesbos to name the soundtrack.
Can't say I blame them, it's a pretty wicked title. The subtitle is undeniably fab, too.
My personal favorite track is We Don't Care, which begins with a driving groove, but at about 1:40 it breaks into blossoming sitars and goes into a midtempo beat, the horn section now blasting majestically. It's all very lush and blissed-out. Towards the end a chorus chanting the title fades in, and eventually you hear a man shouting and grunting in the background. It ends as he drawls, "We don't caaaaare..." and an electric guitar stab goes into reverb. It's really quite fun and comical in it's rowdiness.
The track that seems to get the most attention is the ludicrously named The Lions and The Cucumber. It's a little grimier, darker, harder, than We Don't Care. But it still manages to invoke the good vibes with more sitars and blasting horns. I like this one a lot, too.
The songs can all be heard on YouTube of course, and you can learn more about the soundtrack here. Better yet, you can buy it here.
I hope you've enjoyed today's small look at exploitation cinema and really good music. Give the songs a listen. "Pull up a groove and get fabulous!"
Til next time!







Soledad Miranda is gorgeous (so exotic!), it's such a shame she died so young. :(
ReplyDeleteI read up about her on Wikipedia, she could've had such a bright future.
I see what you mean about Ewa, the resemblance is uncanny!
Your little joke about Edward (Cullen?) made me chuckle.
It really is a shame. She was so beautiful and she definitely had "star quality". When she's on the screen it's hard to take your eyes off her!
DeleteI know hating Twilight is a cliche at this point but, yeah, I hate Twilight. And since we're dealing with a vampire who can be in the sun I couldn't resist the joke.
I've only seen the first Twilight movie when it was on TV, what a snoozefest. Kristen Stewart has no charisma or charm to me, which doesn't help when you're the protagonist.
DeleteI saw her in a couple of pre-Twilight movies (Panic Room and Into The Wild), and thought she was very good. I don't know what happened in the interim but any likability she had went out the window the minute the cameras started rolling for the Twilight movies. But really with Twilight it's not just Kristen; the whole thing -- the books, the movies, the scripts, the actors, it's all just terrible.
DeleteHave you read the books?
DeleteI haven't, so I can't really judge, but my older sister borrowed the first one from a friend & I flipped through it & noticed the first person narrative. I can see why people hate them.
I read the first book. That was enough for me lol. And I'm not against "low brow" literature or anything -- I enjoy stuff like V.C. Andrews, etc. But Twilight was terrible.
DeleteMe neither, I wasn't implying that Twilight should be ignored by anyone, just that I don't enjoy the series.
DeleteFor what it's worth, I believe everyone has different tastes when it comes to literature, music and the arts. Which is good, because otherwise everyone would be the same, and where's the fun in that?
Speak it, sister! ;D The world would be a very boring place indeed!
DeleteWoo Hoo! *internet hugs* :D
Delete-Also, I noticed you mentioned you're a feminist... Awesome!-
Let's do a happy dance! Drinks all around!
Yay, I love internet hugs! And how could I not be a feminist? It's ridiculous how women are still repressed in the 21st century. It's time to treat all equally!
Delete;D
DeleteP.S. I'm glad you're okay. Truth be told, I was getting a little worried about you. Ridicluous, I know, but I consider you as a friend & I care about you. *blushes*
Don't you mean 'oppression'? And yes, it is time for everyone to be treated equally, regardless of their sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, religion, social/economic status, age or height (etc.). It's just unfortunate that this isn't the case. :(
DeleteWhile I personally consider myself a secular-humanist, I still support women's rights (and men's rights), and it pisses me off that some people still consider women inferior & demonize those who are pro-choice, or blame the victim of rape. *pulls hair out* It's as if some people think the only women who get abortions are child-hating femi-nazis, or that people who get raped are "asking for it".
-----
I remember having to take a self-defence class (just for girls) in high school on how to defend myself just in case. I appreciated it, but it wasn't fair that only the girls were entitled (boys can & do get sexually assaulted & raped), but I felt it was unfair that it was our job to get educated & not have everyone learn about why sexual assault, harassment & rape are not, never were, and never will be okay.
Sorry for the rant, and sorry if this subject isn't appropriate for your blog, I just had to get that off my chest.
Don't apologize -- thank you for sharing your thoughts! Yeah, oppression is what I meant. I was in a bit of a rush responding yesterday and had a brain fart lol. I consider myself a humanist as well but when talking about a subject like Vampyros Lesbos I wanted to be clear about my feminist stance since I'm a guy and it can be easy to be misunderstood by someone who just stumbles upon the post. I wouldn't want to add to any kind of dialogue that could be perceived as anti-woman. Plus I just think the more people see men who openly embrace feminism, the more comfortable people will be with that idea. There are still people out there who think you have to be female to be a feminist, which kind of blows my mind. It's the 21st century, folks!
DeleteRape culture and the blaming of rape victims is distressing, not least because it seems to be so widespread. I just don't get it. Victims of rape are already dealing with so much; to blame them or say they were asking for it is inhuman and psychologically damaging.
Those double standards like your self-defense class that was limited to females run rampant in the world. In my line of work that happens a lot and it's frustrating. Men are indeed targeted for assault. I'll share a personal story. It's not one I talk about a lot and maybe I shouldn't tell it here, but I feel it's germane to the discussion. In 2002 I lived in St. Louis. I had just left a gay club and stopped at a gas station nearby to fill my car up. As I was getting out of my car I was rushed by three men, all holding guns. One held a gun to my head while the other two assaulted and robbed me. They left me laying unconscious on the pavement as they fled. A kind soul found me and called the police. Aside from a few stitches here and there I was okay physically, but emotionally it was a lot to deal with. I still had the youth that makes one feel invincible -- not after that! I hope that's not too dark or off-putting. But it was an eye-opening experience (to say the least). So yes, I feel wholeheartedly those self-defense classes should be taught to all students, regardless of gender.
This is a crazy world, so when a person finds something that makes them happy, whatever it is as long as it's not hurting another, I feel they should embrace it with all they have. Maybe that experience somehow, subconsciously, put the fire in me to embrace my passions and not worry what others think about it or me. I hope that's not too heavy. Maybe I shouldn't share that story here, I don't know. But it has in many ways made me who I am today and I feel it's important to the discussion.
Thank you for your concern, by the way! I had kind of a hellish weekend (seeing The Great Gatsby was my only reprieve), and the blog took a temporary backseat. I'm glad we're friends Felicity :D I'll try not to vanish from the internet for so long next time!
DeleteD: Oh my god. Thank you for sharing that story with me. That sounds absolutely terrifying. I hope you've recovered from that (psychologically) & that your experiences have strengthened you. *more internet hugs*
DeleteBy the way, when I looked at your profile on Flickr & Blogspot, I noticed you are a social worker. I wasn't quite sure what that meant, so I Googled it. I'm still not quite sure what your job personally entails, but you should know I think you're a truly remarkable person for helping others. Truly.
I suffer from depression & social anxiety (it took a lot of courage to first contact you), and I'm very grateful that I have a supporting family & access to medical care & a counsellor. I don't know where I'd be without them.
----
BTW, how was The Great Gatbsy? (Lana Del Rey has an amazing voice, doesn't she?) :)
Thank you, Felicity :)
DeleteIt was kinda tough at first, but it's one of those things you just make your peace with; you face it and move on. I definitely grew up a lot after that.
I'm sorry to hear you deal with those things. *internet hugs* I also deal with anxiety problems, so you're not alone. I definitely understand it and am here if you ever need a shoulder to lean on. Social anxiety can be particularly tough since the anxiousness can lead one to isolation. With me there are no judgements so never worry that I think ill of you.
There are a lot of different fields within social work. I work with the developmentally challenged. I aid my clients in living as independently as possible, with a focus on community integration. It can be pretty stressful but it has many rewards, as well!
I'd rate The Great Gatsby somewhere around an A- to B+. It was very good -- the visuals were astounding (we saw it in 3D), and Leo was so handsome (I'm a bit of a fanboy) and his acting was superb. I highly recommend it! As for Lana, YES, omg, what a voice! In Young and Beautiful she almost sounds like a countrified Alanis Morrissette. Definitely digging me some Lana at the moment!
Still can't believe you used the F word. Don't apologise, I'm not one of those politically correct policers, I just really hate that word. Yes, even more than the C word (and I'm a girl).
ReplyDeletePerhaps I should elaborate, though? I just hate how people feel the need to conform to gender stereotypes, like how women should like pink or purple & care about their appearance & be modest and chatty, or be the 'motherly' type, or how men have to be tough & athletic, and have sexual prowess. And anybody who doesn't conform is a 'slut' or 'queer'.
It's as if the worst thing for a woman to be is a man & the worst thing for a man to be is a woman. It makes my blood boil.
And that label for hetero men who take pride in their appearance; 'metrosexual'? Urgh. Talk about double standards.
You should listen to Madonna's song "What It Feels Like For A Girl". It deals directly with what you bring up here, and even included a spoken intro that basically says exactly what you just did -- that people don't like seeing guys feminized, because they think femininity is a bad thing. And so they react against it. The idea of metrosexuality cracks me up. How silly!
DeleteIKR? Why should anyone have to defend themselves with a label?
DeleteHere's an example of that double-standard bigotry;
DeletePat Robertson on 'Adultery'
"He's a man." - *facepalm*
Excuse my language, but what a mother-fucking asshole!
My reaction.
As a christian, he's supposed to condemn cheating on spouses. Hypocrite. I mean, what the fucking fuck?!
Wendy Wright is another person who gets on my bloody nerves - and I'm not even American.
Sorry for the rant again.
Hey, rant away! Pat Robertson is a vile man. His views on gays are just despicable. Unless you're a rich, white, straight, man, he has no use for you. Ugh.
Delete'Girls can wear jeans
ReplyDeleteAnd cut their hair short
Wear shirts and boots
'Cause it's OK to be a boy
But for a boy to look like a girl is degrading
'Cause you think that being a girl is degrading
But secretly you'd love to know what it's like
Wouldn't you
What it feels like for a girl...'
Those are the lines you're talking about, right?
It's so true. Girls & women are allowed to wear pants, have short hair & wear any colour they like. But for guys, if you wear pink or purple, or put a lot of effort into the way you dress & groom yourself, it's 'gay'.
Same thing with that Turkish Oil Wrestling. If it were girls in bikinis & lathered up, it would be 'sexy', but guys doing it is 'gay'. I wouldn't be surprised if Scottish kilts are also seen negatively.
Another thing I hate about gay-bashing & the F word is that BS about 'It's not gay if you're on top' or 'It's not gay if you're the giver'. (etc.)
Like, wow, that's rude & incredibly sexist. To me, it implies that one person is dominant/male & the other submissive/female.
And of course the 'female' is submissive & inferior. Right? /sarcasm.
All I can think is Fuck you, asshole! (not you, just the people who push these stupid stereotypes & gender roles).
Yes, that's exactly the part I was talking about. And it's true. Have you heard of femmephobia? If you haven't, it's exactly what it sounds like. It's what's being spoken of in that quote, a sort of irrational fear of feminine things. But hiding behind the fear is a curiosity for a lot of people. It ties into the way people reject things in others that they subconsciously fear they might have within themselves. A lot like homophobia. It's weird, even in the gay community it exists. A lot of gay guys reject others who are feminine, or hate drag queens, stuff like that. (Which is a real shame, drag queens are very fun and a cornerstone of our community.) As far as sex goes, I think people who have the viewpoint you speak of, "It's not gay if you're the giver", etc, is just people who are in denial about themselves. That, or they're just plain stoopid. And of course it ties back into that fear of femininity, perceiving it as a negative. I've always felt feminism and gay rights go hand in hand, because rejection of both of them are rooted in the same kind of fear.
DeleteHere's a video on femmephobia.
DeleteIt's by Laci Green. Have you heard of her? She's wise beyond her years, I think.
No, I haven't heard of her. I liked that video, she seems like a really cool chick. Thanks for sharing it!
Delete