Friday, May 17, 2013

Random Access Memories

Touch, I remember touch
Pictures came with touch
A painter in my mind
Tell me what you see

A tourist in a dream
A visitor it seems
A half-forgotten song
Where do I belong?
Tell me what you see
I need something more

Kiss, suddenly alive
Happiness arrives
How do I begin?




So goes Touch, a cornerstone of the new Daft Punk album, Random Access Memories. Dominated largely by midtempo grooves and heartfelt ballads, RAM is probably not what the music-buying public at large expected from the funky French duo. Granted, there are still several rousing dance tracks (the groovy Doin' It Right comes immediately to mind), but even those are lead by lyrics emphasizing the need to let go of your fears and embrace the inherent healing qualities of music.




Random Access Memories is an emotional album, with themes built around questioning your place in the world and accepting yourself for who you are. It's utterly lacking in irony, a breath of fresh air in this will.i.am dominated music world. I'll be honest -- a couple of the songs actually brought tears to my eyes. I'm a longtime Daft Punk fan and this new album can only be read as a heartfelt love letter to their fans, and to the wonders of music itself. You can stream the entire album ahead of it's May 21st release date on iTunes here. I highly recommend you do. Even if you haven't liked Daft Punk in the past, this album may just surprise you. Good job, you funky Frenchmen!



8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Me too, Ricky. Aerodynamic, Revolution 909, Digital Love, Technologic, Something About Us, I could go on... so many amazing songs. Have you heard their remix album? Some great stuff on there, too!

      Delete
  2. Sequin-encrusted blazer? Groovy.


    :D


    Which songs made you teary eyed, btw?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right! Love the glam reinterpretation of their robot look! The songs that really got to me were Within and Beyond.

      Here are the lyrics to Within:

      There are so many things that I don't understand
      There's a world within me that I cannot explain
      Many rooms to explore, but the doors look the same
      I am lost I can't even remember my name

      I've been, for sometime, looking for someone
      I need to know them
      Please tell me who I am

      Where are the thoughts to try to keep?
      Then I wonder why

      And here are the Beyond lyrics:

      Dream, beyond dreams
      Beyond life you will find your song
      Before sound, to be found close your eyes
      Then rise, higher still, endless thrill
      To the land of love beyond love
      Come alive and you'll find
      Forever watching you arrive

      You are the night, you are the ocean
      You are the light behind the cloud
      You are the end and the beginning
      A world where time is not allowed
      There's no such thing as competition
      To find a way we lose control
      Remember, love's a higher mission...
      This is the journey of the soul

      The perfect song is framed with silence
      It speaks of places never seen
      Your home's a promise long forgotten
      It is the birthplace of your dreams
      -------------------

      The combo of the lyrics, music, and vocals (who knew robots could sound so lonely?), just really moves me.

      Delete
  3. i have not heard the remix album yet... but im sure its good !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely check it out! The Laidback Luke mix of Crescendolls is my favorite track, but the Neptunes mix of HBFS and the Demon mix of Face To Face are great, too.

      Delete
  4. This is fuckin' hilarious! The music video for Daft Punk's 'Around The World' has these comments;

    This comment has received too many negative votes
    LYRICS?
    Then someoneone replied,
    "arrround the world. arrround the worrrlld"

    Oh, I love me some trolling & sarcasm sometimes. I lost my shit at that. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol yeah funny stuff! I generally tend to think of YT comments as the cesspool of the internet, but there can be some comedic gems found there, as well.

      Delete