Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Radiant Midge

My Life in the Dreamhouse Midge arrived today! I honestly think she looks even better in person than she did in the prototype pics! I immediately took her outside for an impromptu photo shoot. And when I say immediately, I mean just that. Literally the moment I had her outta the box I grabbed the camera and headed outside. Here are the results...
This is Midge's big return after a decade-long absence and Mattel clearly wanted to make it a successful one. A Steffie face and flawless hair were a must!

I wasn't completely sold on her outfit based on pics. But in person -- I kinda like it! Actually, I really like it!

Yep, those lashes are rooted! Taking a page from mod Barbie, Dreamhouse Midge opted for the "real things" rather than some painted-on nonsense.

She comes with a matching gold necklace and bracelet. Both have a strong MH feel to them. Not in their style but in how they were manufactured.

This is Midge's second outfit. I liked it in the promo pics and I like it in real life.

See? Radiant.

Her body articulation is very similar to MH, though she doesn't have quite the range of motion of an MH doll. Nonetheless, she poses extremely well. I'm very iffy on Barbie bodies that deviate from the original classic, but this one definitely works.

I was curious whether her hands and lower arms were removable, a la MH. I couldn't remove them, but I didn't pull too hard out of fear of breaking her.

God, she's absolutely stunning!

A quick break before we got back to the shoot. ;)

I love her hand mold. It evokes relaxation, but the fingers are bent just enough to look like she's grasping when you lay the hand on something.

She also comes with a solid red purse with buckles, ruffles, and a clasp. It doesn't open. Looks cute, though!

Flowing red hair. Sigh. And this is fresh out of the box! Not bad!

I did notice a sizable unrooted gap right behind the bangs, but the way her hair lays covers it up well. Everywhere else was well-rooted. The texture is incredibly nice for a playline doll.

Oh, I forgot to mention she has earrings that match her necklace and bracelet. The stud is angled so the earrings are more visible when looking straight at Midge. This is something I first noticed on MH and the idea seems to be spreading to other lines. Which is good; I definitely prefer the angled design over regular studs.

Midge's shoes are solid black heels with an ankle strap that attaches to a strap that rests on top of the foot. Simple but effective.

Congrats, Midge! You're a beautiful doll! Mattel put a lot of thought into you. You deserve it.


8 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! I watch Barbie: Life in the Dreamhouse and love it! Especially Midge because of her style and her freckles. I used to collect Barbies when I was younger but too bad I'm not old enough to have got her from other eras where she looked different and much better than today's Barbies. I'm not interested in any of the current playline Barbies except for the Dreamhouse and then Midge is the only one probably worth getting. I really want her! But since I don't have much money, if I do go off to get a doll, I'd probably get a MH doll. I should make room for Midge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really fun show, isn't it! Tbh one of the best things about it is that there aren't really any big messages or lessons. It's pure comedy, very funny!

      You should definitely make room for Midge in your collection, Helena! She's even prettier in person than in pics! :)

      Delete
  2. Who is Steffie by the way? You use this name alot in any of your posts about Barbie and I don't know anything about Barbie's history...well actually a little because I wrote a paper on the doll line, how it got started, evolved, and impacted culturally. My professor said it was a topic he never expected to see but that's what you get from a doll collector ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steffie was a Barbie doll that debuted in 1972. She used a brand new facemold and it became very popular with doll collectors. Mattel still uses the mold sporadically on many different dolls, but since Steffie was the character that debuted the mold that's what it's known as now. It's by far my favorite Barbie facemold! You can learn Steffie's complete history and see the multitudes of dolls who have used the mold over the years here: http://www.fashion-doll-guide.com/Steffie-Doll.html

      Your paper sounds great, I bet it was fun to write!

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the info! I'll have fun exploring that site! And the paper wasn't a chore because it was something I liked ^^
      I think I will buy Midge when I get the chance! There is another Midge but she comes with Barbie and she doesn't look that different from her basic

      Delete
    3. I saw the Midge/Barbie 2-pack just earlier today actually! I definitely prefer the outfits included with the solo Midge doll over what she wears in the 2-pack.

      Delete
  3. when my sister and i were young... midge was always my favorite !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only Midge I had when I was little was Cool Times Midge, but I really liked her. Funnily enough she was also a Steffie-faced doll. Wish I still had her but I lost her a long time ago.

      Delete