Monday, March 4, 2013

Dolls and hair and stuff

I've recently discovered the wonders of boil washing doll hair. I was always aware of it but wary of trying it myself because, I don't know, putting my dolls' hair in boiling water just seemed kind of scary. What if I ruined it? But after getting a few too many MH dolls with bad hair I bit the bullet and went for it, and what do ya know? It works! Really well! Now I've decided to take it a step further and try my hand at doing an actual boil perm. The girl going under the boil? Miss Skelita Calaveras!

Preparing for the boil.


The plan is to give her a disco roll, that wonderful 70s 'do that took feathered hair and gave it more structure. I'm hoping the final result will look something like this but, you know, black and orange and attached to a skeleton girl.

Beautiful!


Since Skelita's hair comes with a bump in the back made with a ponytail and some odd rooting, earlier today I first gave her a simple boil wash. I wanted to get rid of the crimp the ponytail left when I took it out, and also line the rest of her hair up with the sidepart she has up front. Once her hair dries, if everything has gone as planned, she'll be ready for the actual perm tomorrow!

Skelita's so pretty! I hope the disco roll works because I think it'll really enhance her beauty even more!



There's a little bit of gunk there, but that should brush right out once the hair is dry.


I have some other doll stuff planned for later today. I have two SRM Lagoonas because I just really love that doll and wanted a backup; one of them is getting a wash today. What I like so much about this Lagoona is that her hair is a much brighter yellow than usual, and she has those cool green streaks. Also, she has a  middle part, something pretty rare for Lagoona. I'm not going to give her a perm or anything, I just want to relax the hair -- hopefully enough that it's actually straight, but a mild wave will do. I'll also be boil washing my Dead Tired Abbey's hair since it came out of the box pretty scruffy. Her tinseled strands are especially bad -- bent in places and jutting in every which direction. Hopefully the tinsel can handle the heat. It's made of a different material than the rest of her hair; it feels thicker and plastic-y. I may bring the water to a simmer instead of a boil just to be safe.

Love those green streaks!

Crazy hair! Must be tamed!


I'm also hoping to get my review of the Blob/Ice Girl CAM up. I already have the pictures taken and edited, it's just a matter of getting it written and put together. I might wait until tomorrow for that, though. In any case, lots of doll activity today! Woo-hoo!

Ice Girl may just be my favorite CAM yet.

I was skeptical of the molded hair when I saw pics online, but I actually really love it!


The background music today has mostly been the David Byrne and St. Vincent album. My friend Laura turned me on to it a few nights ago and it's been in heavy rotation at the house since.


Til next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment