Saturday, November 2, 2013
In Defense of Apple White: Part One -- Introduction / Marketing "Rebels" / Friendship
Warning: The Storybook of Legends mild spoilers ahead.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion -- especially when it comes to something as subjective as a book about princesses that is based on a doll line. That said, I feel there have been some very shortsighted "readings" on the character of Apple White. This notion crystallized for me as I came across more and more fan opinions describing Apple as "selfish", "idiotic", "vain", and "shallow". More damning statements, such as "Apple is a really stupid girl", "I wish [Apple] would stop being so mean to Raven," and more, weren't uncommon. I've even seen people outright call her a bitch. And I kind of have a problem with that. There are two sides to every story, and I'm not hearing much about Apple and her side. It's one that needs to be told; it's only fair. And so I've taken it upon myself to do just that.
A few parameters: I will be discussing Apple (and to a lesser degree Raven) as they are portrayed in The Storybook of Legends. The emphasis here will not be on the webseries. That said, the book syncs up remarkably well with the show, at least in regards to the basic plotline and most characterizations. It's for those reasons that I feel TSOL (my abbreviation of the book's title, to be used herein) is perfectly acceptable as canon to the overall brand that is Ever After High. One last note: I wrote a small but somewhat harsh piece about the book a few days ago on Tumblr. When I wrote that, I was about one-third of the way through. Since then, I finished the book and in fact have read it twice now. My opinion on the quality of the writing is much higher now compared to when I made that Tumblr post. With all that out of the way, let's get started!
We all know the setup for EAH. Children of classic fairy tale characters, attending a fairy tale boarding school, are faced with following in their parents footsteps. It's their destiny. But what if one chose not to follow that destiny? What would happen? Those who want to continue tradition are referred to as "Royals"; those who want to seek out their own destiny are considered "rebels".
Although TSOL is pitched as offering both sides of the Raven (Rebel)/Apple (Royal) story, from the very first pages it becomes clear that Raven (and the rebels) are the true protagonists of the book. The royals are neutral at best. Author Shannon Hale, undoubtedly directed by Mattel's marketing team, constantly spins the events of the book in favor of the rebels, at least in terms of character motivations. Mattel wants us to side with the rebels, presenting them as cool, down-to-Earth, and free-thinking. The royals are presented as cool, too. But free-thinking? Nah, not so much. More like rigid and even somewhat judgmental. Speaking in broad archetypes, the royals come across as "followers". It's not hard to side with the rebels if you fancy yourself an individualistic, open-minded type. And it's extremely easy to side with them if you take everything presented in the book at face value.
But dig a little deeper and a different story emerges. My focus within this series of posts isn't on the plot of the book. It's on the characters, specifically Apple and Raven. Everyone knows I am an Apple White fanboy. But I'm also honest and I "call 'em as I see 'em." I would never write a piece like the one you're reading now if I didn't wholeheartedly believe in what I'm saying. Apple White, that beautiful, blonde princess so many in the EAH fandom find to be shallow, vain, and a bitch, is to my mind strong, smart, driven, and brave. Indeed, even more than "rebellious" Raven Queen, Apple White is willing to take risks, think for herself, and face the possibility that her long-held beliefs could be completely wrong. And she displays these attributes with far more grace, dignity, and sincerity than the somewhat cynical Raven could ever dream of. And when it comes to friendship? Apple is the type of sincere, supportive friend we're told Raven is, but see very little of. When you get right down to it, Raven isn't a very good friend at all, not to Apple at least. One could even say she is just plain mean to her "friend". She clearly has no problems basically stabbing her friend in the back, that's for sure.
On that tantalizing note we'll end today's look into the dichotomy of Apple White and Raven Queen. Next time: it's all in how it's phrased, the irony of Raven and her mother, and a little girl whose near-death experience changed everything...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

whoa it sounds like i need to read these books because i had no idea it was this in-depth... how do i know what books to start with and in what order ? and for what your saying about apple and raven... i think people should be intelligent enough to see deeper into apple because she is definitely more than just a spoiled bitch apple is a royal who just might be a rebel herself !! LONG LIVE APPLE !!
ReplyDeleteWell, to be fair, I'm sort of analyzing the book in a way the creators never intended. But I think the subtext is there, whether Shannon Hale and/or Mattel intended it to be or not. As for the books, so far there is just this one. The second book is called The Unfairest of Them All and is set for, the last I heard, a March release. If you decide to read the book the main thing to keep in mind is it's aimed at YA readers, so it's not some epic masterpiece or something. But if you're liking the setup and characters of EAH so far you'll probably enjoy it. Apple is a much more interesting character than Raven, and much more likable imo. There's a lot to her; it's almost surprising just how multifaceted she is considering this is all based on a doll line.
DeleteOoh! Can't wait to read to ensuing instalments!
ReplyDelete:D
Thanks! Hopefully the next part will be up today or tomorrow! :D
DeleteHello John.
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad to find someone who loves Apple just like me.
My TSOL book is still on it's way so I can talk about Apple's character thinking only about series and doll's bookmark, but even with this don't find Apple as irritate person.
Waiting for your next post :)
Hi Elly :) Us Apple fans are rarer than the Raven ones, but we *do* exist! It's funny, Apple is to some too pushy and entitled but I think she's remarkably grounded all things considered. Hope you enjoy the book when it reaches you!
DeleteThank you for posting this! I haven't read TSOL yet but I own it, and I have read the mini free diaries Shannon Hale put out on amazon. This is all so true, and the people that are anti-Apple and Royals are actually the superficial ones for taking the Rebels being the heroes at face value and thinking Raven is the cool one. I'm not anti-Raven but she isn't as amazing as these people make her out to be and yeah she isn't that nice to Apple. I guess these people don't see what we see, huh? Apple White for best EAH character and doll!!! <3
ReplyDeleteYou pretty much took the words right out of my mouth, Helena! Taking the story at face value and immediately embracing Raven as "the best", or the hero or whatnot, is pretty shortsighted imo. I feel like a lot of people have done just that and I guess that's why I've decided to do this series. Just to point out to others that there are other points of view on the series. And yep, totally agree -- Apple is the best EAH character and doll easily!
DeleteI'm almost done with the book, then I can read your second post :) Just wondering if you read the mini free books Shannon Hale put out on amazon or not. Raven's and Apple's are included in TSOL, but Maddie's, Briar's, Hunter's, and Ashlynn's are not. I really liked Huntlynn's stories. I love the alternate meeting from the doll diaries! Also, there is a story called The Tale of Two Sisters you can buy for Kindle or the Nook, I think it's meant to be read after TSOL. I own it and plan to read it, just want to know if you read everything that's put out as well!
DeleteI read Apple and Raven's books, but not the others. I saw the ad for The Tale of Two Sisters in the back of the book but it doesn't give any details whatsoever about it. I wasn't even sure if it was an EAH book tbh. And I definitely didn't know it was already out! Definitely gonna be picking it up! Thanks for the heads up, Helena!
DeleteYou should read the other short stories, they are all free, and if you don't have a kindle like me, you can download the kindle for pc from amazon, which is free! I read the Tale of Two Sisters all it was was the story/fairytale of Bella Sister. It was super short, I think it should have been free instead of $1.99
DeleteThanks for the tips! I don't have a Kindle so I'd have to do it the other way.
DeleteTell me if/when you read the stories, I would like to know your opinion on them ^^
DeleteDefinitely! :D
Delete