I also find her backstory extremely creepy. The thought of someone in your room watching you while you sleep -- yikes. I know she's a friendly monster and only eats nightmares but still, just the thought of someone hiding in the shadows watching you really messes with me. Speaking of the whole eating dreams thing -- kinda weird, eh? She sees your dreams as colors, and eats the bad ones, and it can give her indigestion -- that's really freaking weird. Of course, I also think it's one of the coolest backstories and setups we've gotten for any of the characters and another aspect of her that has totally won me over. It's really all very interesting and despite the doll's lack of true monstrousness I think she perfectly conveys the themes of her setup. I'll probably go into this more (or just link to this post), in the review. Anyway, here are a few pics...
Saturday, July 6, 2013
Twyla freaks me out
I'm pretty sure the next review is going to be Twyla. She has slowly but surely won me over. I think a lot of it is because I actually find her to be pretty creepy. MH dolls never strike me as particularly frightening. Even Spectra, with her ghostly purple eyes, has always struck me as more fierce than freaky. But there's something about Twyla that I do think is genuinely spooky. Her hair has a sort of witchiness, something about the length and the way it frames her face. And even her face has something about it, I can't put my finger on it, but it's pretty creepy. (And no, I'm not talking about the glowing eyes -- although they are way cool.) It's pretty ironic that Twyla's the first MH doll who strikes me this way considering she's the least monstrous one they've released to date (well, besides Cleo).
I also find her backstory extremely creepy. The thought of someone in your room watching you while you sleep -- yikes. I know she's a friendly monster and only eats nightmares but still, just the thought of someone hiding in the shadows watching you really messes with me. Speaking of the whole eating dreams thing -- kinda weird, eh? She sees your dreams as colors, and eats the bad ones, and it can give her indigestion -- that's really freaking weird. Of course, I also think it's one of the coolest backstories and setups we've gotten for any of the characters and another aspect of her that has totally won me over. It's really all very interesting and despite the doll's lack of true monstrousness I think she perfectly conveys the themes of her setup. I'll probably go into this more (or just link to this post), in the review. Anyway, here are a few pics...
I also find her backstory extremely creepy. The thought of someone in your room watching you while you sleep -- yikes. I know she's a friendly monster and only eats nightmares but still, just the thought of someone hiding in the shadows watching you really messes with me. Speaking of the whole eating dreams thing -- kinda weird, eh? She sees your dreams as colors, and eats the bad ones, and it can give her indigestion -- that's really freaking weird. Of course, I also think it's one of the coolest backstories and setups we've gotten for any of the characters and another aspect of her that has totally won me over. It's really all very interesting and despite the doll's lack of true monstrousness I think she perfectly conveys the themes of her setup. I'll probably go into this more (or just link to this post), in the review. Anyway, here are a few pics...
Labels:
13 wishes,
dolls,
monster high,
preview,
twyla
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







Beautiful photos, John (as always)! I agree that there is something creepy about Twyla, especially considering her backstory. There will be a 13 Wishes animated feature to tie-in with these dolls, correct? I'm interested in seeing her character in action.
ReplyDeleteThanks Eric! I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees the creepiness in Twyla! I hadn't thought about the special and how she'll be portrayed. Tbh for me the specials and the webisodes have started to go down in quality, so my hopes aren't high for a cool representation of her. I'm always up for being pleasantly surprised though!
DeleteOh no... sorry to hear that you feel the quality of the productions have gone down recently. I haven't seen any of the specials, but I have seen at least the first 2 volumes (I believe) of the webisodes, and I've enjoyed those. Nothing I'd consider to be masterpieces (ha ha), but entertaining nonetheless. Twyla seems like a character who holds great potential for story lines; but they could just as easily mess her up.
DeleteThe first two volumes of the webisodes are the absolute best you're gonna get when it comes to the MH show. Especially volume two -- everything was great in those. They had multi-episode story arcs, the writing was funny, and both Abbey and especially Operetta got great intros into the show. Nowadays I feel like the writing has gone down in quality, it's not as funny, and the characters don't act like themselves. The specials have always been pretty hit or miss for me. Some of them are pretty good but most of the time it feels like they amp the forced "excitement!" up to 11 while abandoning what the characters actually are. Oh well, at least there's the dolls!
DeleteYah... the dolls are first and foremost for me. I really only watched the webisodes out of curiosity. It often surprises me how some of the characters are portrayed, because I often have my own preconceived notions about them. Like, I was totally shocked that Operetta was Southern. I had her doll long before watching a webisode, so I had my own ideas about her persona. Then there's Abbey, who I actually really enjoy in the webisodes, but I don't like her doll's face mold.
DeleteI'm right there with you about Abbey -- I really like her in the show, but her dolls are often among my least favorites. I used to have that with Draculaura too -- liked her in the show, so-so on her dolls. Lately it seems the writers prefer Draculaura to be a charmless, whining, materialistic brat who has a tendency to go into histrionics. Yuck. But no matter how a character is portrayed on the show, if I like the dolls that's always more important to me.
Delete