Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Taking Stock

Longtime blogger Matthew Rettenmund once observed that blogging requires a lot of work and offers few rewards. (I'm paraphrasing.) I would agree with that, with the caveat that those rewards may be few but they're also large. In any case, Voicething turns one year old in a little over a month and that's probably why Matthew's observation is bouncing around in my head.

My very first post on Voicething was a statement of intent. Looking back my goals were lofty, but even then I wasn't sure exactly where the blog would go. I do enough reading to know most blogs don't turn out like what their creators had originally intended. Voicething is no different. It's natural that as you continue blogging you find your niche. As I'm sure you've noticed, for Voicething that is reviews. There's really one big reason for this: that's what I most enjoy doing. Writing reviews fills many slots, so to speak. It's what readers most like about the blog. It requires I photograph the dolls, one of my favorite things about collecting. I get to scan and discuss paper ephemera and box art which I also love. It gives me a chance to "bond" with the dolls and, in essence, play with them. And I get to flex my analytical muscles, something that's part of my personality and comes naturally. It's a win-win and it won't be changing.

When I first started, I was posting reviews roughly every other day. Occasionally I'd post two in one day. Over time the reviews have gotten longer and, in my opinion, better. Generally the reviews now have two to three times as many pictures as the old reviews. The writing has gotten more incisive and covers more aspects of the dolls. The reviews take a lot longer to write, photograph, and piece together now than they used to. The one for Raven took up the better part of two days. The first day was spent taking and editing photos, scanning and editing box art, and doing some writing. The second day was spent writing and editing, then putting it all together. Back in the beginning I would bang one out in a few hours. Not so nowadays.

That's basically all a preamble to one very important statement: reviews will now be posted once every week or two at most. Unfortunately, yes, this means a lot of dolls will fall by the wayside. One approach I've been considering, to compensate for the smaller amount of reviews, is to cover all the dolls in one line in one review. This would only be occasionally and only for smaller lines like GNO or Swim 2013 wave 1. Since three dolls would be covered at one time I wouldn't go as in-depth as I do in the solo reviews and instead touch somewhat briefly on each doll and discuss the line as a whole. The thing is, I'm having trouble figuring out how exactly it would work. So it may not happen... but you never know.

One thing that has officially gone the way of the dodo is character spotlights. Character information is already widely available online and what I was writing didn't add much to the conversation. Anyway, I feel I've gotten better at incorporating my opinions and analysis on characters into the doll reviews. On the flipside, I really enjoy doing Deja View and the blog has gone far too long without a new one. To be honest, Deja View entries basically work the same as a review, just of an older doll instead of a new one, so it's not like they're outside of my comfort zone. I'm not making any promises but ideally those will be showing back up. As for the rest of it (Deconstructing mostly comes to mind), my opinions on MH as a whole come through in the reviews and smaller non-review posts, so yeah, Deconstructing entries ain't coming back. I think most people already realized this, I just wanted to make it official.

In the meantime I've had a few doll-related thoughts floating 'round my head the last few days. I still see people occasionally express concern that EAH will be the downfall of MH. If you ask me, Mattel's dwindling (plummeting one could even say), QC standards in regards to Monster High pose a far bigger threat to the line's longevity than Ever After High ever could. Music Festival and especially Ghouls Night Out have been (mostly) up to the usual standards; everything else has been iffy at best. I consider myself pretty lenient when it comes to Mattel's QC. Some have been bitching about Mattel's QC for well over a year now but I feel it's just recently gotten out of control. If standards stay where they are currently I can see myself stepping away from MH and just enjoying the great dolls I already have. Hell hath no fury like a Cleo fanboy spurned and all that.


Perfect Apple helps ease the pain though.



Hey, did I just mention Ever After High up there? Are those pics of Apple you just saw? Surprise --  at the moment nothing doll-related makes me happier than EAH! Just look at these ladies...


They make a great group!








I gently washed Maddie's hair a few days ago. It's still frizzy but not nearly as much.
And for the most part her beautiful, long tendrils went back into their shape after the hair dried!

Isn't she magnificent? She's such a stunner I'm actually able to overlook all the pink.

She's such a stunner I don't even mind that one of her eyes is gargantuan compared to the other.
(Honestly though, the size difference is so large I'm thinking about calling Mattel for a replacement.)



Reader Elly helpfully pointed out a few days ago that Maddie is sold out at Justice's online store. I know that must be frustrating for collectors who haven't been able to get their hands on Maddie yet but I'm kind of glad to hear this. Why? Well, when I went to pick up Apple and Briar at my local store over the weekend I did a count of the dolls they had on the shelves and they still had all of their Raven and Maddie stock (aside from the dolls I bought). They got those two characters' dolls a week ago. I also took a count of Apple and Briar, who had arrived earlier the day I bought them, and I was the first to purchase either of them. And my Justice is a store that I have confirmed has scalper activity. Bottom line: the dolls are keeping my store's shelves warm! It's entirely possible these sluggish (well, nonexistent) sales are an isolated event. Still, it does have me wondering.


Why people not buying you, EAH? In Missouri, anyway.

My favorites of the core dolls.

Briar and Maddie ain't too far behind them though.



Check out that pinky-tan complexion. 



In happier news, the official Ever After High site has been expanded. You can now play games, download the theme song, read previews for two of the YA novels, and more. It's all pretty kid focused but I have to admit I'm looking forward to the novels. With the expanded website also comes a new webisode, which you can see here. Another webisode was briefly premiered then pulled. You can instead catch it here. The pulled webisode introduces the reinvented C.A. Cupid to the EAH world! (Immediate reaction: I far prefer her new dress to the old one!) And last but not least, a low quality pic of the Ashlynn Ella and Hunter dolls has surfaced! Check the new dolls out here.





Now that the core dolls have hit shelves new stuff is coming at us fast and furious! And I'm loving it! EAH is totally pushing the right buttons for me. I like the show, the characters are interesting, the dolls are great, and more than anything I simply think it's a cool little world Mattel has created with EAH. I really hope the line succeeds because I'd love to see what Mattel has in store with EAH, especially in regards to new character dolls. The characters we've seen on the webisodes but haven't gotten dolls for yet look so promising; in many cases they look even better than the core characters. Yeah, really hoping those shelf warmer dolls at my local store are an isolated incident...


These shoes were made for walkin', and that's just what they'll do, one of these days these shoes are gonna walk all over you... and out the store door for good if people don't get busy picking these wonderful dolls up!

Update: The official full quality promotional shot of Ashlynn and Hunter has surfaced. Check them out...



11 comments:

  1. I don't mind if you cover all dolls from one line in a single entry. I've noticed that you're getting more in-depth with your reviews, which is great! I also like being able to share my two cents (as I'm sure other readers do, too), and your replies - I guess you could say I enjoy our conversations. :)

    Ashlynn looks really pretty. I'm happy with her hair colour, too.
    What with all the MH & EAH stuff, I don't know how I'm gonna buy all of it.

    *Grabs Sharpie & piece of cardboard*
    -Will suck dick for money!!! Or Dolls!!!-

    lol/jk :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the positive feedback, Felicity. I've been mulling things over and feel this approach will help keep content quality high while letting me stay sane (well, as sane as is possible for me lol).

      Delete
    2. It's alright. I'm happy to have made a friend in you.
      Mattel seems to be churning out new dolls left, right, and center. So I don't blame you for getting behind (and I know how intense your job can get).

      Speaking of new dolls, are you gonna cover the SDCC reveals on the main blog?

      Delete
    3. I've been thinking about the SDCC stuff. I'm definitely planning on covering it somehow, but I might wait til the week is over and just discuss it all in one sitting. There will be reveals for the next few days so it seems better to hold off until it's all out there.

      Delete
    4. Oh,that's what I meant, anyway. Sort of like your post on the NY toy fair. :)

      Delete
    5. Yep! It'll probably be very much like that post! :)

      Delete
  2. i think the rewards for blogging are you get to make people happy ( if your into doing that ) and it is a great way to talk and get feedback from other MH and EAH fans... i want you to know you do a great job with your blogs and i really hope it keeps coming bc voicething has become a part of my daily life it goes great with coffee and a smoke when waking up and also is good for relaxing before bed i look forward to your opinions and reviews :) i wanted to make a suggestion for your problem of being overwhelmed... i think the thought of doing a whole line at once is good but i do fear that you wont get to go into as much detail about each doll... i was thinking when you do the reviews as a line maybe pick a fav or 2 and go in depth with those dolls and then highlight the others in that line and of course pics are a great way to help the review process and if there is a line you don't feel like taking to much time on then just snap some pics and do a small review in the captions under the pics... idk just some suggestions it is totally up to you but i do think no matter what you end up doing it will be great !! and i do really get what your saying about mattels QC bc there have been a lot of weird eyes, messed up make-up, frizzy hair and lots of other problems, so i hope mattel gets this under control bc i would hate for MH to suffer and it would be horrible if you gave up on the new MH dolls, hopefully that will never happen !! also with what you were saying about new EAH characters i agree with you there are some characters in the show that would be even better than the core group i think lizzy hearts and kitty would be great and i still think they should intro a new alice !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ricky, thank you so much for that. You've made my day! Knowing the blog makes people happy really does make all the work worth it. :D And thank you for the suggestions as well! Doing a multi-doll line review that focuses primarily on my favorite while touching on the others in the line is a *great* idea and I think I may just take the advice! That sounds like a realistic, workable way to do the multi-doll reviews.

      Lizzie's design for EAH is so fierce, she's a total monarch hottie! Her design is super-detailed, just as much as the core character's designs. SO can't wait for that doll! BTW did you see the official character designs for the next wave of dolls? You can view them here: http://darth-alinart.tumblr.com/post/55842850823/cast-of-eah-characters#notes

      Delete
    2. I like Ricky's idea, too. Besides, you can always add your opinions in the comment section if us readers bring up any points.

      Delete
  3. no i did not see the new character designs and thanks for the link bc they look really great... i cant wait :) well that is if EAH ever comes to another store than just justice !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't paid Blondie much attention based on the webisodes but after seeing her character design I'm now officially Looking Forward To Her. I kinda figured the EAH dolls would have gone wide by now. I'm still certain they'll go wide, but it may be a bit longer than I originally thought.

      Delete