Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Blondie and Apple

I happened upon Blondie Lockes and Getting Fairest Apple at my local Justice today...











Some quick shots of Blondie and Getting Fairest Apple straight from the box. So yeah, GF Apple — love, love, love this doll. Seeing my favorite EAH character presented in this naturalistic, simple way is basically what I was hoping we’d get ever since I first fell in love with her last summer. This doll is utter, total perfection. Like her Legacy Day doll, she looks a little more mature compared to the signature release, with a slightly subdued air about her that still manages to come across as friendly. Her faceup is made up of mostly muted, natural pinks, including a very light dusting of blush on her cheeks. Her hair has just a little of that crispy gel we all know so well. She’ll need a hair treatment, but I think a warm water rinse and set should do the trick — no boiling required! I’ll be discussing her further at some point later. Just know she is perfection and is yet another Apple doll that exceeds my lofty expectations for this character. Oh, also worth noting: of the characters who’ve had three dolls released so far, she has the widest variety of looks among her dolls.Apple, we’re so, so not worthy. (For real though you guys — love this doll. Like, so much it’s all kinds of ridonkulas.)
But what of Blondie, you ask? She’s the new character here, it’s her first doll, it’s a signature release, I need to be talking about her first! I just can’t help but be distracted by how amazing Apple’s wonderful GF doll is. Okay, so Blondie! Love her, too! Mattel continues it’s strong run of high quality (design-wise) for EAH with Blondie’s doll. There’s some weirdness going on with my doll’s right eye (why do I too often not notice these things until I’ve de-boxed these dolls?), but it’s not a deal breaker or anything. For an EAH signature doll, her faceup is surprisingly simple. She has a couple of shades of pink above the eyes, some shimmer, and her lower eyelashes are brown instead of black. There’s a hint of blush on the cheeks and her lips are a natural pink — almost the exact same shade as GF Apple’s, actually. She continues the signature doll tradition of having three silver reflective dots on her lower lip. Her hair is very yellow and extra-wavy. The texture seems like it may be prone to frizz. We’ll see over the next few days. Her outfit and extras are too detailed to go into here — again, I hope to discuss this doll more at some point later. Oh, one thing though: her heart-shaped lock purse has some molded detailing that is the stuff Rococo dreams are made of.
Okay, enough blathering for one night. Hope you like the pics! And don’t underestimate GF Apple — she’s an amazing doll, one of the best yet. (Better than Legacy Day Apple, in my opinion.) Catch ya later!
Please forgive the weirdness with the text. Blogger is being an ass and not letting me direct-transfer this post from Tumblr. Oy.

17 comments:

  1. Nice purchase.
    You seem happy about this and that makes me happy too.
    Blondie has such a beautiful dress. Can't wait to take her home next Monday. Along with Raven, Briar, Apple, Cerise and Maddie. I must wait until mid-January to get Ashlynn because of the price for the 2 pack.

    I've got something to say and this is so embarrassing...
    This morning, I went to the store and I bought Maddie. (I actually came very close to take Apple instead, to surprise you).

    So anyway, I got Maddie and kept looking at her while on the bus to get back home. I finally arrived at home and de-boxed. What an adorable little beauty. I wish she was the same height as the others but still, a beautiful crazy little thing. I examined her for a while and realized that on the back of her head, a small part of the hair seemed pulled out of place and a bit frizzy. I tried combing it with my fingers because I did not want to mess her beautiful lavish curls. The texture of her hair seemed really odd. Almost badder than Operetta's, if that's possible.

    I tried placing the strand of hair with my fingers but it didn't work. So I decided to use the brush I usually use for the MH dolls, which always produces amazing results.... but not this time.Some of the curls actually detached, broke and fell off. Which totally stunned me. Still, I brushed a little bit more and then, boom... chaos ensued! The curls turned into a massive and nightmarish wave of extremely frizzy mess.The whole thing turned into a monstrous afro 5 times bigger than her normal hairstyle. A pure and complete disaster. My heart broke and fell to the floor.

    This was my first EAH doll and I had her for less than 1 hour. I've been feeling upset all day because of this, to tell you the truth. Is this normal or did I made a mistake by brushing her curls? Have you experienced any such issues with any of the EAH dolls? I'm afraid this could happen with the other dolls. Is it better to simply leave all of them alone and not try to arrange their hair if it's a bit messy and frizzy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That really sucks, man! FWIW, Maddie has by far the worst hair of any of my EAH dolls. But none of the curls ever broke on mine or anything. After getting her de-boxed, I gently rinsed my Maddie's hair with warm water. While still wet I combed it with a wide-toothed wig comb then let it air dry. It came out *much* better, but is still frizzy. Like I said, she has the worst hair of any of my EAH dolls. Is the texture of your Maddie's hair also a bit greasy? I've heard a lot of people having problems with greasy Maddie hair.

      Delete
    2. Yup, a bit of gel, I believe.
      What about the other EAH dolls, like Raven, Apple, Briar and Blondie? Can we brush their hair or is it better to let them be as they are once we de-boxed them? I don't want to ruin another doll.

      Delete
    3. I've heard the quality varies for basic Apple. Mine is good though. Raven and Briar have good hair, while Blondie's seems like it'll be prone to frizz, though not as bad as Maddie's.

      Delete
  2. Ooh, congratz on your new dollies! They both look beautiful, but I gotta say I agree with you. Apple does steel the limelight away from Blondie a bit. She's great! Is there something different about her lips compared to the other Apple dolls? They look fuller somehow. It could be the color that makes it look like it is (if I'm not mistaken her other dolls' lip colors were darker) but I really like it! *gets even closer to getting an Apple doll*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, M! I've compared GF Apple's lips to the other two Apple dolls and i can't tell a difference in size. Like you say, it might be the color making them look fuller to you. Glad to see you coming even further around to getting one of her dolls -- but that's hardly surprising lol.

      Delete
  3. Apple never ceases to amaze me, she is so gorgeous, I need GF Apple, even more than LD Apple! I also need Blondie of course and every other new doll I'll probably never be able to buy :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right on the money in regards to LD vs. GF, Helena. The GF doll is definitely the one to get!

      I have a bit of a random question for you, Helena. Are you a Deuce Gorgon fan? If so, do you already have his Scaris doll?

      Delete
    2. That's not too random, I think you were trying to sell or trade for him? I don't care for MH male dolls at all, even if I do like a character, I only get them if they look good in doll form. Fortunately today though I was allowed to spend money! I got ILF Scarah Screams and Jane Boolittle! Best day ever <3

      Delete
    3. I was asking because I know you don't always get a lot of the dolls you want so I was gonna toss him your way, a sort of "thank you for being a fan" kinda thing. :) Maybe I'm not as much of a Scrooge as I think I am! Lol
      What about Dance Class? I have an extra Operetta, Robecca, or Lagoona from the multi-pack if you want one!

      Congrats on your Scarah and Jane! Those are both fab dolls!

      Delete
    4. Wow really? You would give one to me for free just for being a fan?! Don't feel like I deserve it but thank you so much for offering :) The dance class dolls come with everything they come with when sold separately right?

      Delete
    5. Absolutely! Shoot me an email at my Voicething account for the details and stuff -- voicethingmh@gmail.com

      Delete
  4. i am falling more and more for EAH and i have always said that im only going to collect the original characters but then i decided to also go with LD because i think with LD they are going to release each original character but in LD gear and i thought to myself it will be nice to have every original release in their basic school outfit looks and then it would be nice to have the dressed up LD version as a sort of like ballroom gown look so have decided to do the basic line and LD line but i swear that is it :) im not doing any other EAH lines :) i did end up getting Cerise Hood but i have not seen Blondie Locks or Cupid yet and i am really stoked to get Cupid... i don't know how i feel about Blondie yet im waiting to see her in person to see if i like her better... of course i will get her but im not totally crushing on her yet for some reason

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EAH is a really great line -- just as thorough in it's setup and overall quality as MH when it first started, imo. And it's very addictive. You say you only want the basics and LD dolls, but have you seen the GF dolls yet? Apple in particular is gorgeous and gives her basic doll a run for her money. (And you know how much I *love* Apple's basic doll!) I think once you see her in person Blondie will win you over big-time. I always liked her, but after getting her and having her around the house for a few days, she has only grown on me more and more. Love her sort of serious expression, very fitting for her character in the storybook she comes with.

      Delete
    2. Just realized this was the post where I showcased GF Apple. So of course you've seen her! When I go to reply to comments it takes me right to the comment box so I don't see the content in the actual blog post. So, really big "doh!" on my part there. Lol!

      Delete
    3. it is cool... i figured you didnt see it :) but yeah i have seen the GF dolls and i really like Apple and Briar in the GF line but even though they are beautiful i feel like i have to drawl the line some where or every last dollar i make will go to dolls and truth be told it already does anyway :) see the problem i have is that i have decided not to get every EAH line and only do basics and LD but then i think to my self ok what if they release a few really great GF dolls (which they have) and i want them but it is just so much money keeping up with both MH and EAH i am so undecided i have even had to cut back on getting every MH line and the MH lines that have been compromised are AC and CB (even though i really like CB) i just cant afford it all and have to pick my favs... Oh yeah and i wanted to ask you if you have seen the promo pics for FCA-Operetta i think she may be the best Operetta to date and that is saying something because when i got them for christmas i really feel for Die-ner and Kohl's Operetta's but this FCA one looks amazing i hope her hair is as long and good as it is in the pics

      Delete
    4. Apple and Briar are definitely the best two of the line. They're all beautiful dolls, but I feel you on having to draw the line. With my current work situation, I've had to really cut back. So I feel your pain, Ricky!

      I have seen BC Oppy's promo pics. Mind. Blown. I agree, she definitely has the potential to be the best Oppy yet. Fingers crossed Mattel has figured something better out for her hair texture. But even if it's still the usual ratty texture, the design of the doll is strong enough to make up for it imo.

      Delete