We would play the cassettes the dolls came with while we had the dolls "perform" concerts. Their shows were always sell-outs and after each performance the dolls would go on Johnny Carson and talk about their lives -- their romances, their dramas, how great it was to be famous. (We were seven years old, it never got very deep.) Sometimes we'd stand in for the dolls and perform concerts ourselves, lip syncing and playing air guitar. More often than not some sloppy dance moves were busted while we "sang". And of course we watched the show all the time, too. Even back then I was a Misfits guy. The Holograms did good deeds and were easy to admire but they were nowhere near as fun as the hell-on-wheels that was The Misfits!
Over the years Jem has oddly managed to stay in my life to some degree or another. When I first came out in my late teens and started going to gay clubs I realized Jem was kind of a thing among gay men. A few years later, around 2005 or 2006, I was bitten by the nostalgia bug and picked up several Misfits dolls on eBay. I never really did anything with them (they're in storage now), but it was fun to have them around. Looking back, those eBay Misfits dolls probably planted the seeds that grew into the devoted doll collector I am today. My best friend Torey also grew up with Jem and he and I still crack jokes with each other about the show to this day.
By the time Integrity Toys announced last year that they would be releasing a line of high end Jem dolls I was so wrapped up in Monster High that, while pleased to see Jem making a comeback, I let the dolls pass me by. Those first dolls were quickly followed by a second wave comprised of the remaining core Holograms characters. Again, I was happy to see it happen, but I didn't partake in the dolls myself. But with last week's announcement of a third wave, this time made up of The Misfits, I could sit idly by no longer. Aside from the fact that The Misfits were always my group of choice (I love me a great bad girl; give her a guitar and I'm hooked), there's the matter of the dolls themselves. They're stunning!
I've spent the past week obsessing over the dolls, looking at the promo pics repeatedly and marveling at the wonderful job Integrity did designing them. Back in the day Pizzazz was my favorite character overall while Stormer always struck me as the prettiest. Of the new dolls the real surprise for me is Roxy. She was never a favorite of mine; in fact, when I was little I barely even paid attention to her. Of the vintage dolls she was my least favorite. After realizing these beautiful new dolls are too good to pass up it became a matter of which one to get. (In a perfect world I would just get all three of them but that's simply not realistic at the moment.) After carefully thinking it over, I finally settled on... Roxy! It was kind of an agonizing decision because I love the Stormer doll a lot, too. But in the end Roxy was the one my mind kept going back to, and I figure if I'm gonna spend such a big chunk of change on one doll I should definitely go for the one I respond to the most, rather than simply choosing my favorite character (sorry Pizzazz!).
Mostly what sold me on Roxy is her face. I feel Integrity got it right, focusing more on her cartoon makeup than the vintage doll's. Her side glancing eyes have just the right amount of "bitchy" -- not too harsh, but definitely not what you'd call friendly, either. Her big, platinum white hair is pure "Roxy". I love how they did the split in her bangs. They contrast some finesse with all that crazy bigness going on behind them. Of the three dolls she has the best outfit easily. The pants are pretty different from the cartoon and vintage doll, but damn if they don't look amazing! I love capri length pants on dolls so much! Throw some gold sequins on them and I'm sold! Perhaps best of all, Roxy's outfit comes closest to capturing an authentic 80's look without reading overly fantastical or gaudy. It has the Misfits edge but feels very high fashion.
This new wave won't start shipping until mid-to-late May, an agonizing wait for someone as impatient as I am. I wanna break that girl and her guitar out right now and get to rocking! By the time the mail person arrives carrying that big tell-tale rectangular package it'll take all the willpower I have not to tackle them grabbing it in excitement! And if Roxy is as amazing in person as she looks in these pics I have a feeling more Misfits and Holograms Integrity dolls will be in my future...
In case you somehow missed them, here are all the Integrity Jem dolls released to date...
All images: Integrity
Update: Just realized I forgot to include Integrity's Rio doll on the roster listed above. But you folks know how I feel about male dolls so that shouldn't come as a surprise!
Music today is -- who else? -- The Misfits!



















For what it's worth, I think you made a great choice buying Roxy.
ReplyDeleteHer outfit is awesome!
It's a pity the Integrity Toys are so expensive, but seeing pics them of them on Flickr, they're certainly high quality. Those Fashion Royalty dolls are to die for!
I hope Roxy lives up to your expectations! Less than a month to go until she arrives, I presume? :)
By the way, can I ask what the image is from that you used for the blog banner?
I'm really excited about her! I've heard May 15th is the unofficial "official" ship date; all that's certain is it's sometime after mid-May. But yeah, I'm super excited for her arrival!
DeleteI casually follow Integrity (and Tonner), but don't collect any of their lines. As you can probably tell, I prefer dolls that are kitschy/stylized over the almost hyper-realism of the Integrity and Tonner dolls. But their dolls are undeniably beautiful -- I can see why both companies are so popular.
The banner is a study of Koshimaki-Osen by Alex Gross. I'm big on pop surrealism and you really can't get much better than him in that regard. You can see the whole piece, and all of Alex's work, at his site: www.alexgross.com
It's now the 17th. Ooh... Getting close!
DeleteI know, I'm like "agh!!!" lol. I got an email saying they plan on shipping all the dolls on Monday. Woo-hoo!!!
DeleteFUCK YEAH!!!
DeleteThanks for answering my question. Alex Gross has some crazy art.
ReplyDeletePersonally, I think Tonner dolls are a bit overrated...
Check out these amazing repaints! Not all of them are Tonner dolls, but they look SO realistic! -There's some Madonna repaints in there, too. ;)
I also love these videos, which show the repainting progress. (different artist)
I've seen some amazing repaints on the web by freelance artists, it's incredible just how versatile dolls can be.
To some people, they're treasured collectibles, to others, they're for playing, or dressing up/making over (hair or face), while to others, they're an artform.
He has a really unique vision, even within the world of pop surrealism, which has gotten really huge as an art form. I feel like so often our culture does all it can to quiet those who have a different or just plain odd "voice", so it takes a lot of courage to put yourself out there as an artist like Gross does. I know it sounds kind of silly but I feel like Voicething is my own small way of doing that. :)
DeleteW-O-W at noeling's custom dolls. His dolls are so much better than the factory ones, almost photo-realistic. I had to do a double take at the Sucker Punch doll to make sure it wasn't an actual photo of the actress! Astounding. The videos are fascinating. (Btw, how cool are BJDs? I wish they weren't so incredibly expensive!)
It's really interesting how dolls mean such different things to people. I'm definitely a hands-on collector. The thought of leaving a doll in the box, no matter how valuable, is completely foreign to me lol. But to other collectors de-boxing a doll basically ruins it. And then there are the people who find dolls scary or creepy. To me it's pretty funny, like, it's just a doll, chill out! lol. Blythe dolls seem to get that reaction a lot in particular. I think it's the huge saucer eyes.
Do ya think they'll do the Stingers in the future?
ReplyDeleteIt's hard to say. I wouldn't be surprised either way, but the Integrity experts think they will. I'm actually not real big on the Stingers so it wouldn't exactly hurt my feelings if they didn't. Then again, based on the existing dolls, if they did do them there's a strong chance they'd be pretty amazing. But if it came down to an either/or type of situation, I'd rather get 2nd tier characters like Regine and Danse instead of the Stingers.
DeleteI just have a soft spot for Minx. Maybe it's my inner Hufflepuff or something? (That and the fact that she's one hell of a sexy bitch).
DeleteI can see the appeal but I'm just not much of a Stingers fan. But like I said, if they do The Stingers I'm sure they'd be fab and I'd want them. Lol!
Delete